AUS220 Week 1
This semester is kickstarted with the post production intensive as we have jumped right into working on our first project for the semester. Coming from last semester’s jingle project, I have gained quite a lot of interest into the post production world which I did not know much about before. We as a group have chosen to redesign the sound and music for a matrix scene that involves a lot of gunfight with a drum and bass track as soundtrack. I feel very much excited by the challenges that we are going to face as well as the things I can learn from overcoming them. As in the post production world, audio engineer has a much different role and therefore the job requires a rather different mentality and working style. In fact, instead of learning new skills on software operation or turning knobs upon knobs, the most interesting things I have learnt throughout this week’s intensive are mostly about concepts.
The first concept that we have learnt is the importance of time management and to work fast as a post engineer. Since the audio budget for films and shows are often counted in hours, it is best for us to work fast as we could for the sake of the whole production. Also, based on this mentality, we also learn that the general rule is only keeping the best take as there will be a lot more tracks and clips than a music production environment. This is fairly different from the concept as we have all learnt from the previous studio units in terms of music production, which is to always hit record and always keep the files. However, the overall goal of delivering the best quality of work in a fast and precise manner still applies.
On the other hand we have learnt some common foley tricks like creating rustle noises and footsteps. What we are going to do to this project is basically painting on an empty canvas and there are a lot of skills that are yet to be explored. The most important challenge we are going to get through is the fact that the scene involves a spectrum of good-sounding gunfire noises but it is unlikely that we can get to record real ones. In class, we have learnt to dissect one sound into different elements so that we will be able to recreate sounds by layering sounds from different sources. The concept is not new to me but I have learnt some good and useful tricks which clears some question I was having during the production of my the last jingle project.
Tools wise we have started working with post production styles of gear such as shotgun microphones and other units with the aim of capturing the sound with the least possible colouration. When we compare our voices recorded using gears with “transparent” sound and other microphones often used in the music production, we notice a huge different and also in turn gave us more understanding of what kind of sound we are looking for when we use different gear when we are making a sound. With this in mind, I am planning to try bringing in post production style microphones into our music production sessions later down the semester to have a better understanding of the gears as I think this is what I should improve on from previous experiences.
All in all, we have only just started the intensive and there are still a lot for us to learn about. I am looking forward to meeting more new challenges and to learning more new things out of the project.