AUS220 Week 8
Thursday was our big day this week when our gig happened. After a long sweaty day we managed to pull off a small intimate jazz/fusion gig at the SAE soundstage with plenty of beer, bean bags and couches. As I have mentioned on previous week’s blog, there are many things we could have done better to achieve a better gig. However, at the end of the day, I am satisfied with the overall outcome.
We started the day by running the usual drill, setting up the stage as we have planned in the production plan. Although there are gaps between our plan we managed to react and decided quickly and collectively to ensure smooth production. By 2pm that day our stage was acoustically ready, but the other way around visually. Just by looking at this boring and dreadful stage gave us huge amount of pressure and anxiety, and we know we still have a long way to go if we want to see a proper gig at the end of the day. Luckily with the help of two talented filmies, Jackson and Daniel, we managed to set up the stage like a normal household gathering which fits the style of music we are putting up for the night.
After the long wait of the day, our show kicked off at 6 and honestly there was nothing much left to do for all of us. I feel glad to see our planning and production come into play, and happy to see the two bands doing their thing smoothly on stage with our help and setup. Reflecting on our performance on the day, I think we have done well on the stage set up both visually and acoustically. Jarrod handled the console and I think he had produced a lively and well-balanced mix which all of us would easily agree.
On the other hand, however, there are a few things we could have improved on that we realised after discussing in class the week after. One thing is that we could have miked up the small guitar amp of Blake from the first group instead of miking up his PA speaker the he uses as his cab. The sound came out alright on stage but not so much in the recording which sounds quite muddy because that is also around the frequency where the PA crossovers. The other thing is that we could have clarified with the two bands a bit more about their gear and come up with better solutions that may suits their sound better.
All in all, although I came into this intensive being worried about this gig we had to deliver and how unexperienced I am with live sound in general, I am happy with the result and all the knowledge I have learnt along the way. I am looking forward with the upcoming studio production intensive and hopefully we can have some fun like we did with the previous two.